Wednesday, August 18, 2010

What's a Library?

(Disclaimer: Ryan and I are Not having marital issues, I just want to better myself by reading more and this happened to be a book that I found at the Library)

Just before we moved from Draper, my sister gave me the idea that I should get a Library card for the Draper/SLC Libraries. I still have my Draper address on my license, so I was able to get the library card for free, oh and it doesn't expire til 2018 which is pretty cool! The main reason for getting the card was so my nephews could check-out books for school reports or anything else, but I realized that I could check out books too!

So, on Friday, my nephews, sister and I went to the Draper Library (By the way, did you guys know that Libraries have gotten so technologically advanced now? They have self check out, and you put the books on the counter and it can tell what book/books they are. It's amazing! This obviously shows that I haven't been in a library since I was like 8 years old, pretty sad) anyways, I looked around for a book or two to read.

I'm not a reader at all, I actually used to hate reading, but if a book catches my interest, I'll read it. So I had been looking for about 30 mins or so and wasn't seeing anything that caught my eye. So right before we were about to leave, my sister went and started grabbing books and she grabbed the one pictured above called,

"Love That Lasts" by Gary and Joy Lundberg
"Fourteen secrets to a more joyful, passionate, and fulfilling marriage"

When I saw the names, it hit me that I had heard this couple speak when I was in the Eagle Mountain Singles Ward in 2008. Back in the day when I was good at writing down talks, conferences and meetings that I liked, I wrote down pretty much everything they said and I still have the notebook that I wrote in.

"Be More Diligent and Concerned at Home"
Eagle Mountain Stake Relief Society Enrichment Meeting
February 23, 2008
Gary and Joy Lundberg
(I'm surprised how detailed I was in my notes)

I won't write down the details of what I wrote from the Enrichment Meeting, but I recommend this book. I haven't finished it yet, actually I'm not even half way through it, but they have some great tips on marriage. Your marriage doesn't have to be having problems to need to read this book, but I personally think that if I learn as much as I can now about marriage and tips and tools that can help in situations that might arise in the future, I'll be better prepared for if or when things do come up. And if you want your spouse to read it with you, it could be a good FHE night to read a few pages or a chapter. Ryan and I have read a few of the pages together and it's been nice reading together every once in a while instead of watching TV.

"For All Eternity" by Dr. John L. Lund

Also, here is a CD set that Ryan and I listened to while we were dating that has been a great help in our marriage. I think most of my siblings listened to these CD's before they were married or once they were married and also love them. It talks a lot about communication and is awesome! The CD's are entertaining and easy to listen to, even funny at times. We still have the CD's if anyone would like to borrow them and again, your marriage doesn't have to have issues to listen to the CD's, but it definitely wouldn't hurt your marriage if you do listen to them!

Well that's my rant on helpful marriage books and CD's. Hopefully I didn't bore too many people.

2 comments:

  1. It's like when you pull out, "The Miracle of Forgiveness" and people think you've committed some major sin. Just because you're trying to improve something doesn't mean that you're in trouble! Good for you guys. It never hurts to make sure that you are doing all that you can to make sure your relationship is a solid rock.

    ReplyDelete